You’ve probably heard the saying “you eat with your eyes”. But we should be eating for our eyes. Or more specifically, we should be eating for our eye health. Certain nutrients in food can help to boost your eye health and combat against eye diseases including macular degeneration and the formation of cataracts.
The good news is that foods that are beneficial for nourishing your skin, bones, muscles and overall health are good for your eyes too. That means, maintaining a healthy diet rich in fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grains containing a variety of vitamins and minerals is a win-win situation.
It isn’t hard to find eye-friendly foods. Nutrients such as Vitamins A, C, E, beta carotene, omega-3 fatty acids and zinc are all beneficial for helping to preserve your vision.
- Vitamin A is crucial to keeping your corneas clear (the outside layer of your eye) and also associated with lower risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Vitamin C is needed to make collagen, a protein which helps build the structures of your eye.
- Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that protects your cells including your eye cells and can prevent the risk of developing age-related cataracts.
- Omega-3 fatty acids help to form your eye cells and are also armed with anti-inflammatory properties.
- Zinc helps your body to absorb vitamin A and protect again age-related eye conditions such as macular degeneration.
Looking for some eye-boosting ideas? Feed your eyes this summer with these 5 superfoods and recipes.
Try adding Acai powder to granola bars for vitamin A. These Acai Granola Bars are bursting full of fruity flavours with Acai powder, Goldenberries, White Mulberries and Goji berries. Enjoy for breakfast or as a snack for an energy boost.
Looking for a new way to reinvent your go-to hummus recipe? Adding Barleygrass powder loads hummus with Vitamins A and E to help you feel energised.
Chia Seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins A, C and E. Try these nutritious and tasty Chia Crispbreads perfect for enjoying with hummus and dips, on a summer picnic or as a snack.
Try adding Goji berries to Cacao Energy Balls or as a topping on a smoothie bowl.
Wheatgrass powder contains Vitamins A and E that help to improve eye health. This delicious Pineapple & Wheatgrass Smoothie is quick and simple to prepare.