What’s better than making your own berry jam? Using that jam to make homemade berry jam bars, great for breakfast, brunch or as a pick-me-up afternoon snack!
Created by our Naturya Ambassador @luminousbowls, these bars are soft, chewy and unbelievably moreish. They also feature one of our favourite natural energy boosters - Maca powder.
The best part about making these bars entirely from scratch, including the delish jam, is that you know exactly where every ingredient comes from – ensuring you put only the best into your body.
- Berry Jam:
- 250g sweet berries of choice
- 40g vegan gelatine alternative (e.g. Sea Moss Gel)
- 10g lime juice
- 15g Agave Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Arrowroot powder
- Berry Jam Bars:
- 250g banana
- 100g Hemp Oil
- 80g Agave Syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10g Naturya Maca powder
- 200g quinoa flakes
- 100g spelt flour
- your homemade berry jam
Berry Jam Method:
- Rinse the berries and add them into a pot over medium heat. Stir until liquid starts to release
- Once the berries have broken down, blend them by either using a potato masher, a fork, transfer to blender, or an immersion blender until smooth
- To the blended berries in a pot, now add the vegan gelatine alternative, lime and Agave
- Cook this on low to medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes
- Now add the arrowroot powder and cook for a further 3 minutes
- Remove and let it cool (It will thicken more as it cools down)
- Store in the fridge.
Method for Berry Jam Bars:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas into a thick paste
- Add the oil and Agave and mix until fully combined
- Into this wet mixture, add the salt, Maca, quinoa flakes and spelt flour
- Mix the ingredients to form a dough
- Take 2/3 to 3/4 of the mixture and press it evenly into a lined 9 inch square tin
- Top this with the berry jam or your jam of choice
- Crumble the remainder of the dough on top
- Bake for 20 minutes but check it at 15 to make sure the top isn't getting too cooked - if so, cover with parchment and continue cooking for another 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool before eating
- They will last in the fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months
- Serve and enjoy!