Can the ever so popular hummus get any more nutritious? Yet it can! We challenge you to try this nutrient-dense, simple Beet & Hemp hummus. With an incredibly vibrant colour and delicious flavour, beetroot brilliantly complements the lemon, garlic and olive oil, as well as the mild, nutty flavour of hemp protein. Use this extra creamy hummus as a dip, in a wrap or sandwich or as a spread for an appetiser!
- 2 medium sized raw beetroot
- 1 can/400g of chickpeas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp Naturya Hemp Protein Powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven at 200 degrees and lightly rub each beetroot with olive oil and wrap in foil. Place the foil wrapped beetroot onto a baking tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until tender. Once the beetroot has roasted, remove from the oven and allow to cool down (even if the beetroot is not fully roasted, this is fine as it will be blended at a high speed).
- Peel the skin off the beetroot, chop into quarters and set aside.
- Rinse the chickpeas in cold water then place in a pan, cover with boiling water and simmer for 15 minutes (the longer they are cooked, the more tender they become).
- When the chickpeas have cooked, drain and rinse again. Remove the skin from the chickpeas, this will make your hummus taste super creamy!
- Add the chickpeas to the food processor along with the roasted beetroot, lemon juice, tahini, hemp powder, asafoetida powder, cumin powder, sea salt and olive oil.
- Blend the ingredients at intervals and keep scraping down the sides of the food processor. Slowly add the water until the mixture becomes smooth (add more water for a smoother consistency).